Monday, July 16, 2012

Udder Winning in the Ghostlands

When we last left off, Deedlitt had reached level 9 and made her way to the capital of the Blood Elves, Silvermoon City. She traveled there in the hopes that Damglorand's goods would be awaiting in her mailbox only to find out that Damglorand had misplaced the items. As luck would have it however, upon reentering the game during my second session, three bags and five gold had arrived in Deedlitt's mailbox after all. Damglorand had in fact spelled her name right despite that he had believed otherwise; it just took some time for the mail to arrive. I quickly wrote back a thank you letter and continued on my way back to the Eversong Woods.

Deedlitt and Her Water Elemental Pet
A couple more quests down and I hit level 10. Now my talent trees were unlocked and it was time for me to pick a specialization for my mage. In my case, I chose to go with frost specialization, granting me a new water elemental pet to fight for me as well as increased bonuses to my frost spells.

Meeting a New Friend
While finishing up the remainder of quests in Eversong, I ran into a hunter by the name of Jessicaloveu, and she immediately requested my assistance as she was being attacked by some wraiths. After I quickly dispatched of the enemies, she was impressed by my skills and struck up a conversation with me. It was clear that she was still feeling very new to the game, so I took the time to answer a lot of questions for her and help her get a better grasp of how to play. She told me I was a cool person and that I should add her to my friend list in the game. It felt kind of strange to be complimented for giving what to me was relatively basic knowledge about the game, but to someone completely new to MMOs I'm sure this information must have been invaluable, so nonetheless it also made me feel pretty good that I was able to lend a helping hand to someone. I added her to my friend list and we parted ways for the time being.

Meeting an Old Friend
My final quests in Eversong took me to a dangerous troll village on the southeastern edge of the region where I met up with a friend of mine who also owned the game. His in-game avatar goes by the name Udderwin; a pun I helped him pick out given that he was playing a Tauren, which is essentially a race of humanoid cows.

I believe I can fly!
Finally, it was time for me to leave the Eversong Woods so I could move on to not-so-greener pastures in the Ghostlands. This was the first time Deedlitt got to travel on a flying mount.

Welcome to Tranquillien, your friendly neighborhood ghost town.
We arrived in Tranquillien, a rather shady-looking town in the heart of the Ghostlands, and we snagged a few quests from the townspeople while we were there. As we made our way to the various quest objectives, we encountered a giant undead abomination known as Knucklerot, who turned out to be a force not to underestimate. As one of our quest objectives involved slaying this monstrosity, we figured we would take a shot at him while we had the chance. Between Udderwin and I, we thought we would be able to take him down together despite that Knucklerot was a full 8 levels above us, but it became quickly apparent as soon as we engaged in battle that it was a futile endeavor. I scrambled for the hills after I noticed my first two shots at Knucklerot were completely ineffective, but then suddenly Udderwin insisted I turn around and keep fighting. I knew at this point of course there was no way we could win the fight, but I decided to turn back anyway so that I could fire off some frostbolts and slow Knucklerot down. This would give Udderwin a chance to escape.

Or so I thought.

Unfortunately Udderwin kept fighting to the bitter end and met his demise. I turned around a second time in an attempt to escape again, but it was too late now. Knucklerot swiftly closed in on me and smashed poor Deedlitt into the ground.

Knucklerot smash.
Lesson learned for the both of us: level difference can't be so easily overcome just by teaming up. If we are to defeat Knucklerot next time, we're going to need that level gap closed first.

Meeting an Old New Friend
We returned to town so we could turn in the quests we had completed, and as it turned out, we ran into someone familiar again, Jessicaloveu. We ended up talking for at least a good fifteen minutes on anything from games to smart phones, and another Blood Elf joined in on the conversation named Stingeyarrow.

En garde!
I poked some fun at Udderwin, which then sparked a couple duels in the middle of town. I first tried to use my polymorph ability to turn him into a sheep, but it clearly wasn't working, so by the time I gave up on it, I was too late to start my counterattack, and I was defeated. I immediately challenged him to a second duel, this time going full force with my frostbolts and arcane missiles until I successfully brought him to his knees. An achievement was unlocked for winning my first duel.

Killing Zombies in the Dead Scar
After we had enough shenanigans in Tranquillien, Udderwin, Jessicaloveu and I all grouped up for some quests in the Dead Scar, a dangerous region full of undead minions in the Ghostlands. While we were there, a second large abomination stomped its way onto the battlefield; this time being Luzran, another target that we needed to bring down for a quest but were ill-equipped for. Udderwin and I scrambled out of the way and I tried to warn Jessicaloveu in the chat log, but she failed to get my messages and engaged in battle.

Run, Jessie! Run!
Sufficed to say, it didn't end pretty for her.

Finding Our Way Back to Silvermoon
After a few more quests, Jessicaloveu had to log off, and Udderwin and I decided to head back to Silvermoon City to improve our trade skills. With the aid of many stacks of linen cloth that Udderwin gave me, I was able to craft multiple items for myself and increase my tailoring skills, while in return I paid him back with some enchantments on his gear.

Tailoring Shop
And so ends another day in the life of Deedlitt, capping out at level 16 so far. Stay posted on more adventures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment